Indulge in this delicious, swirly, delectable cake with a warm cup of your best coffee or tea and some good company.
- 2 1/3 cups Whisked Cake and Pastry Flour Blend
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted cold butter (coconut oil or vegan margarine for dairy-free)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sour milk (coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups raspberry puree
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Raspberry Puree
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
¼ cup organic cane sugar
2 tsp tapioca
4 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9” springform pan.
- Raspberry Puree: Combine raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat until raspberries come to a boil. In a separate bowl mix the tapioca with cold water until smooth and add to the raspberries in the sauce pan. Continue to boil for 1 minute on low heat. Strain and set aside to cool completely before using.
- Cut the cold butter into 1" cubes, In the bowl of the food processor combine the cubed butter, flour and sugar. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside ¾ cup for the topping.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt to the mixture in the processor. Pulse again to combine.
- To Sour Milk: To make 1 cup (250 mL) sour milk for baking, use 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL). Stir and let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Beat the egg, sour milk, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl.
- With the food processor running, add the wet ingredients through the feed tub and process until just combined, about 15 – 20 seconds on medium.
- Spread 2/3 cup of the batter over the bottom of the greased spring form pan and 1/3 way up the sides of the pan.
- Spoon cooled raspberry puree into the cake. Top with remaining batter. Combine the coconut and the reserved crumbs. Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before removing from pan. Serve at room temperature. Note: This cake freezes well.
- Make it dairy free: Substitute sour milk with dairy free milk and substitute butter with dairy free or vegan margarine.
Other recipes you might like