Fresh and delicious homemade hummus! Throw everything in the food processor and blend! Forget buying it in the grocery store, it's easy to make and way cheaper! This recipe also freezes great, who knew you could freeze hummus, we did and now you do too!
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or one 19 oz. can drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (half a lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or ½ a fresh squeezed lemon
- 1 dash of hot sauce (Tabasco)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor add the garlic and chickpeas and process for one minute.
- Scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Process until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Hummus can be thinned out with water or more olive oil to the consistency you like.
- Variation 1: Sundried Tomato– Add ¼ cup chopped Sundried Tomatoes with the garlic and chickpeas.
Variation 2: Roasted Red Pepper – Add a ½ cup chopped Roasted Red Peppers to the garlic and chickpeas.
Variation 3: Fresh Herb – Add a ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano and ¼ cup chopped Green Onions with the salt and pepper.
- Serve with Whisked Sourdough and Flatbread (pictured) and fresh veggies.
Other recipes you might like