Delicious fragrant gluten-free and dairy-free stuffing recipe that the whole family will enjoy!
- 1 loaf Whisked Herb bread (day old at room temperature)
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms chopped (any mushrooms will do look for the sales!)
- 2 cans Gluten-Free smoked oysters (canned food isle)
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 TBSP dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- Wash and chop mushrooms and set aside
- Chop canned smoked oysters (make sure you keep the oil, do not wash)
- Wash an chop onions, celery and garlic then set aside
- Heat olive oil in a medium-large frying pan on medium-high heat
- Add onions, garlic and celery to pan then fry up, reducing heat to medium for 3-5 minutes until the onions and celery are translucent and aromatic
- Add chopped oysters and mushrooms, thyme, sea salt and black pepper and cook for 3 more minutes until the mushrooms are softened and darker in colour
- While things are cooking, cut your herb bread in medium-large cubes and add it to a big mixing bowl
- Add your cooked ingredients to the herb bread and thoroughly mix so evenly distributed
- Add the chicken broth and gently mix with spatula so as not to break down the bread too much, it will be fragile since it is dried out
- Stuff the turkey or chicken, or duck with stuffing (if you are vegetarian* see note below) then roast per your recipe
- Alternatively you can also bake any remaining stuffing (in our family there is never enough) in a casserole dish by pre-heating you oven to 375 F and baking for 30-40 minutes until the top is crunchy and golden brown! Garnish with fresh thyme (optional)
- Serve with your favourite meat or plant-based alternatives!
Vegetarians: instead of using smoked oysters, substitute for smoked tofu and use mushroom stock instead of chicken and bake in a casserole dish following the rest of the steps!
Vegan: instead of using our herb bread, use our wholegrain or teff breads (or even a mix of both!), substitute the oysters for smoked tofu as per above. Use mushroom stock instead of chicken stock. Add 1 tsp sage, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp rosemary.
Other recipes you might like